Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tutorial: Make a Cuff from a Sandal




As promised, here is a simple tutorial that will teach you step by step, how to make a cuff from an old sandal (or a new one, if you prefer) . I took the pictures during the course of three or four days in various stages, that is why you'll see different backgrounds, sorry about that!  



1. So, here are my sandals, pretty beat up. I wore them for two straight summers all the time! They've been through sprinklers, dirt, sand, concrete, you name it! They were only $10.00 which probably explains why they broke after 2 summers!


2. Turn them around and there’s a hole in the sole. This made it easier to cut them.



3. So I cut all around the sandle.



4. This is what I’m left with.





5. I fit it around my wrist to see what it looks like.



6. It’s a little too long so I cut a bit. Yours can be whatever length you like.



7. I cut the point off too.

.



8. I try on again. I like it.



9. Now I have to even out these strips



10. Much better



11.Now I take out my soft piece of leather and measure. I will be putting snap closures on these pieces. I need four pieces the same width as the length of the cuff.





12. These are the bottom pieces, Good side facing down



13. Now put the top pieces on top of the other two, good side facing you, to see how they measure up. The strips will be sewn, sandwiched in, between the two pieces.





14. Okay, now take the top pieces off and start with one side. Sew the strips onto the bottom of the leather piece, the one with the good side facing down. Note: I have a singer factory machine and I use a number 16 needle to sew this. I am not sure how it would go with another type of machine. Please make sure your machine is able to sew leather.) Then do the other side.



15. Now put the top piece, with the good side facing you, on top of the strips (remember, we are sandwiching the strips in between these leather pieces and then sewing). Start sewing as close to the edge of the leather strips as possible (NOTE: I used brown thread because I had it in my machine already and I thought the subtle color contrast would look nice. I also decided to add rows of stitching for a quilted effect. I liked the way it came out. Now do the other side



16. This is how it looked. A bit uneven so I had to cut around to make it an even rectangle.



17. Now to add snaps. I bought these snaps in bulk from DesireMeNow, check out her shop! The tool I bought separately.



18. The package will give you instructions on how to apply the snaps so I won't bore you. One thing I will tell you is that it is easier to apply the snaps if you make a hole before applying the snap. You can buy a leather whole punch but I just used an ice pick. Works
just as well.



 Here it is front and back.



And now on my wrist.



A couple of shots worn with an outfit. I love it! You can still wear it in the fall with 3/4 length sleeves.  It's a little superheroish. But hey, with all I do, I can be considered a superhero mom. I wouldn't wear two at the same time though. Don't want to be mistaken for Wonder Woman!

So get out those old sandals and start working! Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this tutorial. I always welcome feedback. 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Brenda! I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Love your creative post for upcycling a cuff from a busted, destined for the garbage bin sandal.

    Twice, I've saved the tops of gladiator and or beaded sandals - thinking there's got to be something wonderful that can be done with these.

    You provided the solution and the excellent step by step tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you toile lala! Just checked out your blog and loved it! I am going to give you a shout out on my facebook fan page, Nelesc Designs.

    So glad this tutorial gave you new ideas. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I have a whole ton of broken sandals stashed away that I must be able to put to good use.

    Delighted to have featured at this week's Empty Your Archive and to have pinned to my Craft board on Pinterest - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, thank you! I am glad I can help you think of things to do with those sandals. I just broke a pair from this summer, could you see the sly smile on my face? lol. So glad to have discovered your blog.

      Delete